Satin - approximately a 1/2 yrd depending on the size of the kiddo.
Elastic - measuring the child's waist, minus a couple inches
For my skirt, I went with a kids size 5 which turns into:
Upper piece - 7 in x 25in
Lower piece - 13 in x 44 in
Elastic - 18.5in
*no matter the size of the kid (I did 3, 5, and 6) I kept the upper piece at 7 inches.
3. Repeat with upper layer, then trim seams to be 1/8"
4. Fold one edge of the bottom layer (the large piece) and hem it.
If you find it frays a lot as I did, you'll want to roll the hem over and repeat.
9. Admire your work by pulling inside layer out and then flipping it all rightside out.
10. Finish admiring and turn back inside out.
11. Hem top, unfinished edge.
12. Fold over again and stitch all the way around, leaving a gap (about an inch) for the elastic.
13. Using a safety pin, thread the elastic through one hole, around the skirt, then out the other side.
14. Making sure the elastic isn't twisted, stitch the ends of the elastic together.
15. Stitch the opening for the elastic closed.
16. Stand back and admire your final product!
and Voila! Tu es fini. You are finished.